Thursday, May 8, 2008

The rest of Spain, Morocco, The Netherlands

Ok, this is going to be a quick and dirty entry.

From Madrid I headed to a town called Algerciras in the south of Spain. It was a 8 hour bus ride after two hours of sleep due to hitting the town. Algerciras can be described as boring and industrial. I'll leave it at that. I had one night there.

From Algerciras I checked out Gibralter. I suggest that you leave more than two hours to do this. I didn't get up on the rock, but did have some fish and chips. The highlight was having to giveway to a plane on the runway before leaving the country/principality/whatever you want to call it.

Back to Algerciras and onto a Ferry to Tangiers, Morocco. Queue the hustlers. You come off of the boat and are fresh meat to these people. One night in Tangiers in a dive of a hotel before onto Fes.

The train ride to Fes was amazing. I got to see all of the poverty in Morocco from the safety of the train. The villages with small mud dwellings were amazing. One thing I noticed throughout Morocco was every building was covered in satellite dishes.

In Fes we got an unfair deal with a guide. It happens. I learnt from the experience and moved on.

Anzac day morning was spent in Fes. I had vegemite on croissants with some other Aussies.

From Fes to Rabat on the train. Just a three hour train ride. Rabat was awesome. See my previous post.

Rabat to Marrakech. I had a great time here as well. I found everyone to be friendly, even though they were just after my money. The main square is absolutely amazing. I got some video footage, but it doesn't do the place credit. Spent two nights in Marrakech.

Marrakech to Paris by plane. Spent 10 hours in Paris (7 hours sleeping, 2 hours in queues), before catching a train to Amsterdam via Brussels. Brussels consisted of me drinking a beer in the 20 minutes between switching trains.

I'll write up the Netherlands later.

No comments: