Monday, April 14, 2008

Montpellier, Carcasonne

Leaving Paris I decided to head south. Both because I want to go to Morocco and because I figured it would be warmer.

First stop Montpellier. After the SNCF booked me a hotel in a town called Sete which is about 50km from Montpellier and is a retirement village, I eventually made it to Montpellier. The beautiful winding alleys feel like they've been carved out of stone. I spent hours just walking the streets, getting lost, finding my bearings again, and then getting lost again.

I visited my first art gallery and discovered I am not into art.

After two nights I had had enough and decided to move on to Carcasonne. It's is has a medievel walled castle on top of the hill. Which the hostel I stayed at was in. The view was majestic from afar, but I found it awful inside. It was very expensive and was gimmicky as all hell.

So the next day I decided to head to Barcelona on the 7:15am train. I have attached myself like a leech to two Americans, Phil and John. The rail office said we couldn't book tickets. So we just hopped on the train anyway, hoping to claim ignorance and that our eurail passes would get us out of trouble. The situation got stressful at the Spanish border when they started kicking people off the train. We got a few more stops along before we were kicked off. We just hopped on the next train to Barcelona and got there about 2 hours later than planned.

We're staying in the Kabul hostel just off of La Rambla, the main drag in Barcelona, think Rundle mall but with pick pockets. The hostel is great. By far the best I've stayed in so far.

I went out on the turps last night. I'm still regaining my drinking form after being off the horse for a while. After buying two litres of beer for two euros and drinking some vodka with some Israelis I ended up crashing before midnight. Something that is very uncommon in Barcelona with its famous party culture.

Things I've learnt:
-you can get a lot of milage out of a set of underwear
-pack light, pack really light. I'm talking carry on light.
-talk to everyone
-unplanned is best. You have more adventures.
-a smile gets you a long way.
-if you see a toilet, use it. You'll never know when you'll see another one.
-modesty is a luxury. Leave it at home.

3 comments:

franzy said...

Proud. SO proud.
Getting lost is the best thing you can do.
I've been to La Ramblas and had heard about the pickpocketing beforehand as well - did you also walk around with your hands stuffed protectively in your pockets?

Jacobs said...

Sure did. People told me to leave everything at home and just take a bit of cash. I did this the first hour, but then went back to get my camera.

I now walk everywhere with my hands in my pockets.

Unknown said...

just as long as you dont wear your backpack on your front... nothing says dipshit tourist like the ol' backpack on the front

and update you lazy bastard. need to update soon because you'll have to have an update just for queensday on the 30th...